Businesses around the world are measured with their capability of cloud computing, which is important for its organic growth. Therefore, the understanding and management of the same becomes number one priority for any organization. Any cloud platform can be basically categorized into two parts private domain and public domain, each having its pros and cons. Public cloud domains are managed by public servers and their network of data centers. Young organizations with bare minimum requirements can purchase a cloud domain from public service provider and signoff and annual maintenance contract with them. However, for growing business needs, it is always advisable to migrate to private cloud migration infrastructure. Nowadays, almost every organization irrespective of their size and growth vision, are migrating data center workloads.
However, there are countless challenges in manual migration process, which needs to be addressed in the most professional manner. Then there are also challenges posed by organization’s physical server, which has various operating systems and virtualization platforms. It is therefore important to choose a technology partner, who would be able to migrate workloads to, “open stack”, environments easily, without any cloud sprawl. The most common source environment is known as VMware, from where migration will take place to Open Stack environment. However, it is very important to map out a viable migration strategy and assess the risk associated with it.
Benefits of cloud migration process
- Achieve system scalability
- Cost efficiency
- Higher application performance
- Reliability of compatible API
- Disaster recovery
- Increase in strategic value of the IT resources
Some general hiccups encountered while migrating to cloud
- Unexpected cost escalation
- Sudden application rework
- Interoperability failure
- Security loop holes
The basic migration pathway
Cloud assessment – If you have chosen a technology partner, who is well versed in the migration process, then you can be rest assure, that he will conduct a thorough cloud assessment to identify simple, low complexity and complex workloads. Now, it is important to consider Simple and Low complexity workloads, since they run without any interdependent cloud platforms. The benefit of using this type of work loads is the fact that they can be automated and run in distinct batches. They also have the capability to migrate workloads at a single point of time. This will lead to the revelation of web applications which needs minimum to no configuration after migration.
- Pre migration stage- This phase is marked by the loading up of the pre assessed workloads with the drivers. It is important to identify the Window OS, which are used in booting the workloads in an Open Stack environment. This entire process has to be managed very professionally, so that there are no loop holes in the systems. In-case of Linux based workloads; usually no driver installation is required. After the installation of all the important drivers, the respective workloads will be sent to source environment and their respective VMDK files, copied to the destination of OpenStack. However, the entire process is carried out in batch transfer method, to reduce complexity.
- Migration process– It is of paramount importance to set up the necessary environmental variables in Open Stack. Then all the necessary VMDK files will be transferred to glance services with the help of batch process. With the availability of a plethora of third party tools, it is necessary to choose the ones, which are best suited for the purpose. At this stage is very important to keep a close watch at the regulatory and policy requirements of the process. Any deviation from the same should be met with course correction activities, to avoid future cost over runs.
- Post migration- This stage is very important, as the same deals with a host of testing procedures of the newly migrated workloads. A good technology partner should launch instances in batches and test for functional, load, and performance of the system. It is also very important to set clear exit criteria for components, for better management.
In the conclusion, it is emphasized that the governance methods should be robust, so that future frustration can be avoided. Therefore, it is important to access the degree of dependence on physical security and also evaluate for good the organizational IT governance methodologies.